Thursday, September 9, 2010

Look at this pretty little apron. I absolutely adore aprons, and on Labor day Matt bought me this one to add to my vintage collection. What a sweetie! I am growing quite a little collection. My only sadness is that my kitchen is tiny and there is not much room to display the beauties. I have some ideas that I need to try, so perhaps I will be hanging them up soon.

Today is a good day. Vacation day! Soon we will be heading out to the train station to transport ourselves to the lovely city of Chicago. It will only be for a couple days, but we are looking forward to the break from normal life. These breaks are of upmost importance in my mind - a bit of refreshment. We do not have much planned, except for the enjoyment of relaxation. One thing that is on the schedule is the Renegade Craft Fair, which I am so thrilled about. More to come on our mini vacation!

Now for a little recipe.


Stuffed Cornbread

1 onion, diced
1 or 2 Tbs olive oil for sauteing
corn off of 2 ears of fresh corn or 1 and 1/2 cups of frozen
2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup whole spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
a couple shakes of salt
1 egg replacer egg
2 Tbs oil of choice
1 cup of milk substitute of choice, plus more as needed to make a nice batter
1 cup of cheese substitute of choice, grated

Saute onion in skillet with a bit of oil until translucent. Add in corn and jalapenos. Saute for a couple minutes more. Mix up dry ingredients. Mix up egg replacer in a measuring cup. Stir together wet ingredients in that same measuring cup and add to dry ingredients. Add more milk as needed. Stir in sauted onion mixture and 3/4 cup of the cheese. Pour into a greased 8 inch square pan and top with remaining cheese. Bake in a oven preheated to 350 degrees F, for about 30 - 40 minutes. Enjoy!

This recipe is an adaptation of this recipe from the blog Feasting on Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment