Thursday, January 13, 2011

Green Smoothies and Other Things

Sorry for the week of absence. Some weeks are hard. On a pleasant note, I chose a different green this week for my smoothies - swiss chard. I was a bit nervous about how the new leaves would affect the taste of my smoothies. Swiss chard tastes a little bit more bitter than spinach, and is saltier tasting as well. I was pleasantly surprised though, and ended up really enjoying the switch. My recipe was 2 large chard leaves (separated from the stem), 1 banana, and some frozen strawberries. The strawberries and chard complimented one another well in my opinion.

Another culinary adventure of the day was using up the vegetables in the fridge. I had 1 bunch of kale and 1 head of cauliflower in need of consuming. I was short on time so I made smoked paprika kale chips in the oven and made raw cauliflower popcorn. Easy peasy.

Chop up a head of cauliflower into bite size pieces.

Toss in 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to taste, and a bit of Mexican chili powder for some spice. Note that Mexican chili powder is spicier than regular chili powder. This was a lesson learned last week when I made a pot of chili. Oops, I should have known. It was still delicious though - we like it hot.

Mix the seasonings and the cauliflower together with a fork or alternatively shake together in a zip-lock bag. Now you are ready to snack.

I also tried baking some of the cauliflower popcorn. Being low on time I didn't bake it to a crispy point, so will have to try that out another day. It was delicious baked. Tender cauliflower with some crispiness on the edges and perfectly melded seasonings. You can also take the above recipe and dehydrate until crispy, for a delicious raw "popcorn".

Here is the baked cauliflower popcorn.

Along with the smoked paprika kale chips.

Now for a little link love. I made Angela's 5 Minute + 5 Ingredient No Bake Almond Butter Chews. So good. Please make them.



No comments:

Post a Comment