Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Breakfast Post

Breakfast for me usually is just a green smoothie, and if I'm feeling especially hungry, some gluten free toast (Sami's Bakery Millet & Flax bread is so good). On my days off of work, I like to switch it up a bit. This morning I was inspired by Sarma's chia pudding recipe
from Living Raw Food, and made a chia porridge of sorts.

Chia seeds are quite amazing. When you soak them in any liquid, they become softer and create a tapioca like consistency. They are a complete protein, contain omega fatty acids, are an ancient energy food, and yes they are used for chia pets. Here is some more information if you are interested.

This is more of a base for a breakfast with some suggestions rather than a recipe, but here is what I did. Mix 1/4 cup of chia seeds with 3/4 cup of almond milk. You could make your own almond milk and keep this dish a raw one, or you can just use a non dairy milk of your choice. I used Almond Breeze original. Add a drop of vanilla, a dash of cinnamon, and a bit of your sweetener of choice, be it stevia, agave, or brown rice syrup. Let the seeds and milk set for 15 - 20 min or longer. This will allow the seeds to soak up the liquid and become like a gel or tapioca. Sprinkle in some nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and fresh fruit. I opted for raw pumpkin seeds and raisins, and topped it off with a banana.

You could mix up the base ahead of time and leave it in the fridge for a quick breakfast in the morning. The chia base will keep for a couple days.


Enjoy with a cup of Teeccino.

Recently I've been on a knitting kick and have been making mug cozies. Matt thinks it's funny that I'm making sweaters for my mugs. I like to think that it keeps my drink warmer for a longer amount of time, but that's probably just wishful thinking. Oh well, at least my mug looks cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment