Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Lunchbox Post

At least one day a week I have lunch/dinner at work. Most likely it is a packed lunch and more often than not it is a salad. Salads are easy. Easy to throw together, easy to store in the refrigerator until my half hour break, and easy to eat. Well, easy to eat, but not so easy to eat fast. I am usually chewing until the last minute before I go back to the grind.

Another reason I chose salads is that they are an easy energy boost, and I don't have to bother heating anything up in the microwave. We don't have one at home, and I'd prefer not to use one at all. Although I do on occasion. Besides the work microwave is usually pretty grim looking.

So every week I turn to my old favorite, and staple, Apple Pie Salad. I was introduced to this recipe by my mom, from a cookbook she owns (not sure which one it was),
but this is my variation.

Chop up three apples. These portions will typically feed both Matt and I for one meal, with this being the main dish. If you serve this as a side, it should feed 4-5.



Mix with 1 cup of old fashioned rolled oats.



Sprinkle generously with cinnamon. I'm not sure of the exact measurement I used, but I would suggest starting with a couple teaspoons and if you need more, go for it. Sprinkle on just a bit of Nutmeg as well. Cardamom is also a nice addition to the mix.


Chop up 6 or more dates and add them to the bowl along with a handful of raisins.


Pour on a bit less than 1/4 cup of maple syrup. Be careful to not get to much syrup as it tends to create a sickeningly sweet soggy mess with the oats. You just want a touch of sweetness.


Mix it all together with a fork or spatula.



Feel free to add on to the salad. Perhaps toss in some pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, or walnuts. You could try adding some pear to the mix as well. I added 2 tablespoons of chia seeds for some added protein.


Pack it up and your off to work.


Apple Pie Salad
serves 2 as a main dish and 4-5 as a side

3 apples, chopped
1 cup rolled oats
2 teaspoons of cinnamon, plus more to taste
pinch of nutmeg
1/8 cup plus 1 Tbs maple syrup
6 or more dates chopped
1/4 cup raisins
2 Tbs chia seeds or any other additional nuts
or seeds you would like to add

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Aimee, That looks so good! Looking forward to trying this one.

    ReplyDelete