Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lovely Day For a Sandwich

Something about the spring-ish weather and maybe something about this post has got me thinking about sandwiches. I bought some veganaise the other day just because I was craving tomato sandwiches. Sadly tomatoes are not in season and I'm not a fan of grocery store tomatoes either. So today I created this gem, and now my sandwich craving has been filled.

Slice a zucchini into thin strips.


Balsamic marinade. Yum!



Marinate the veggies for an hour.



Coat one side of the bread slices with a little bit of the marinade.


Veganiase, one of my favorite things.



Grill the sandwich for a bit.


Lunch is served!


Marinated Veggie Panini
serves 1

1/4 cup olive oil
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
5 or 6 thin slices of zucchini
salt and pepper to taste
onion slices (as much as desired)
mixed greens or spinach
Veganaise
2 slices of bread

In a jar with a tight lid, shake together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Pour into a shallow dish and lay zucchini slices in the marinade. Add the onion and toss everything to make sure it is fully coated. Marinate for about 1 hour. When you are ready to make your sandwich, remove vegetables from the marinade and lay on a plate so that they can drain a bit. Rub some of the marinade on one side of each bread slice. Turn the bread over and coat the opposite side with veganaise. Top with mixed greens and the zucchini and onions. Put the two halves together and use a George Foreman grill or a hot skillet to grill for a few minutes. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That looks great, Aimee! And I can't wait for tomato sandwiches, either! I need to get my seeds started tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete