Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Gluten Free Scones


Scones are a treat that I bake often. I choose them over muffins or cookies. Matt asks for them every other week. We love them. Lately, I have cut most wheat out of my diet (I have had some soy sauce here and there). So I've been relying on spelt flour for a lot of my baking and have also been trying to incorporate more gluten free recipes.

So, last night when Matt asked me to bake scones, I decided to bake two kinds and try one gluten free. The results were pretty great. I was really impressed. This is the recipe I used, and below is how I adapted it. I am also trying to lower the amount of sugar I eat, so I substituted some ground shredded coconut to replace the sugar bulk. I really liked the result, but you can tell that there are coconut shreds in the scone when you are chewing. If you don't like coconut and are not opposed to the sugar, try it that way.

Low Sugar, Gluten Free, Chocolate Chip Scones

1 cup sweet white sorghum flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, ground even finer in a
coffee grinder or food processor
1 Tbs baking powder
few shakes of sea salt
1/2 to 1 teas cinnamon (depending on your preference)
1/3 cup unrefined coconut oil
1 cup of almond milk mixed with 1 teas apple cider vinegar
1 teas vanilla extract
1/4 teas almond extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a measuring cup combine milk and apple cider vinegar and let set a couple minutes. Meanwhile, cut in the coconut oil and combine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in the chocolate chips. Add the vanilla and almond extracts to the milk mixture and pour into the dry mix and combine, adding more milk if needed. The dough should be able to stick together when shaping it in your hands. Shape the dough into a ball and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment. Flatten and shape the dough into a disc about an inch thick. Pour a tiny bit of almond milk on top of the shaped dough and brush it across the surface. Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake for about 12 minutes at 450 degrees F.

No comments:

Post a Comment