Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Baking Binge


A baking binge is something I know all to well, and love just a bit to much. To me a baking binge is when in the course of 4 days or more, I can't help but pull out my mixing bowls and whip up something amazing each day. It can get quite addicting - the fun of stirring together the ingredients, and the anticipation of the taste of something delightfully sweet. Here is an example in pictures. This all happened about a month ago.

Sunday: Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes from the cookbook The Joy of Vegan Baking.

These cupcakes were great and simple. Just a basic chocolate cake recipe and a cream cheese frosting that was tucked inside the cupcake. Next time you make cupcakes, let them cool all the way, take a knife and cut out a hole in the center (not the whole way thru), and dollop some frosting inside. Top it off with the piece that was cut out. It makes for an amazing frosting to cupcake ratio if the hole is deep enough and wide enough. Frosting with every bite is always acceptable!


Monday: Chocolate Chip Scones from the same delightful cookbook as above.

These are some of the best scones I have ever had. light and fluffy with just the right amount of sweetness. Sometimes I add a lot of cinnamon to the batter, and sometimes I just dust the tops with cinnamon sugar. These are especially good warm from the oven when the chocolate is still melty. Enjoy with a cup of coffee or Cafix (my choice of coffee substitutes).

Tuesday: Grape Pie - not pictured. I made this for a carry-in at work. It was sugar free, and kind of like thickened welches grape juice between a flaky crust. Definitely different, and not my favorite.

Wednesday: Gluten free Banana Bread from the cookbook Babycakes.

This banana bread has become a recurrence in my kitchen over the past few weeks. So good and sugar free too.
Here are some of the ingredients I used for the bread. Almond Breeze - my favorite almond milk, coconut oil, and Bob's Red Mill Gluten free All Purpose - which made for great results. The sweetener used was made from the sap of the coconut tree - amazing.

This bread is great warmed up in the oven an slathered with a bit of Earth balance Buttery Spread. Yum.

There you have it, a baking binge. I think I am due for another one in the not to distant future.

1 comment: