Saturday, July 10, 2010

Pancakes for dinner

Grab your favorite pancake recipe everyone and get mixing! This recipe is a work in progress, but feel free to try it. Pancakes for dinner is a guilty pleasure of mine, key word guilty. Having something so delightfully bread like and doused with maple syrup makes me feel like I am letting the health conscious side of me fall by the wayside. So the solution to my guilty feelings is this.

A crazy mound of kale, celery, apples, beets, and fresh ginger, that I promptly turned into a tall glass of spicy, purple, nutrition. Which I may add was definitely not the most pleasant glass of juice I have made, but also not the worst. It made me feel healthier none the less.

Now, onto more exciting things - carrot cake pancakes! I'm sure someone out there has tried this before, but not that I am aware of. It came to me as I was shoving vegetables into my juicer and racking my brain for a tasty way to add vegetables to pancakes --- of course, carrot cake. So I pulled out my old standby carrot cake recipe and started grating. I added grated carrot, cinnamon, allspice, and ground cloves to the mix.


Thinking of cream cheese frosting that is the tradition on carrot cakes, I blended some dairy free cream cheese with some maple syrup to make this delicious pancake topping. I did not have any vanilla extract in the house which would have enhanced the sauce a lot, but it was still pretty tasty. I need to work on this recipe again to get the perfect blend of spices, so hopefully soon I will have this recipe for you. In the mean time feel free to experiment yourself and let me know what you come up with.


Tomorrow I will have one of Matt and I's favorite sandwich recipes, so stay tuned.





2 comments:

  1. Those pancakes sound amazing! I can't wait for the recipe...I tried broccoli cheese soup tonight (a rip off of Panera's recipe) and it was fantastic...too bad I forgot to take pictures :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I need to get better about taking pictures. I feel like I forget and then don't have pictures of the whole process.

    ReplyDelete