Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thai Coconut Curry

Last night I made curry for dinner. I've been wanting to start adding more fresh, raw meals to my weeks as I feel that I have gotten into a cooked food rut lately. Not that I don't love cooked food, I just know that foods in their raw state work well with the human body and would like to consume them more often. A while back I downloaded a recipe booklet from Jonsi and Alex's website. The Thai Coconut Curry recipe looked really amazing, so I decided that it was time to make it.
Blending water with dried coconut was the first step. I found that the sauce ended up being a bit to watery, so next time I would add less water then the recipe calls for. It could be that my blender just was not strong enough to incorporate more of the coconut. Anyway, the coconut kind of solidifies on the top, with a coconut oil like resemblance.

Then you strain the coconut out and add the rest of the ingredients to the blender, along with the coconut water. Much to my dismay, I was out of both turmeric and curry powder, so my curry does not have that lovely yellow hue. I added garam masala to the sauce instead.

I poured the sauce over a mound of zucchini, cucumber, red pepper, and tomato, all cut into thin noodle like slices. I used a vegetable peeler to make "noodles" out of the zucchini and cucumber. Someday I would love to own a spiralizer, so that my vegetable noodles can look more like noodles.

The curry turned out to be really good. The flavor of the sauce was delicious, and it mixed well with the vegetable noodles. I definitely would make this dish again. Check out the rest of Jonsi and Alex's recipes linked above and download the recipe booklet. My kitchen experience was also greatly enhanced by listening to Jonsi's new album go. Here is a little taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment