Friday, July 16, 2010

Vegan Frittata

I adore brunch. Perhaps it is my penchant for sleeping in that really draws me to the concept, or the possibilities of having a morning party. Whether we are cramming a handful of friends into our tiny apartment, or it's just the two of us spending a slow morning in the kitchen, brunch delights me.

This dish is a new brunch favorite of mine. I had read about chickpea flour based frittata mixes, and so began searching for the perfect recipe. Here is one that I adapted to my liking. This recipe is so versatile, so you can pretty much flavor it to your liking. For the one pictured below, I choose a blend of onions, garlic, mushrooms, spinach, rosemary, and thyme. I sauteed the onions, garlic, and mushrooms in a bit of water until soft, then threw in a few handfuls of spinach to wilt (you may need to add a little more water, so that the vegetables do not burn). Season this with salt, pepper, dried rosemary, and dried thyme.

Chickpea Frittata

3/4 cup of chickpea flour
1 cup of water
2 Tablespoons of oil (I used olive)
dash of salt

Mix ingredients together until smooth. Let the mixture set for a few hours or overnight. I mix this up the night before, cover, and place in the fridge so it is ready to go the next morning.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Pour into a greased pie plate (I used earth balance buttery spread). Stir in desired filling. Top with some salt and pepper.

Bake until golden brown and crispy around the edges. I forgot to time this, so I will guess that it takes about 30 minutes to bake, maybe more.

Cut into slices and enjoy. I served the frittata with an apple cinnamon coffee cake. I also think this dish would make a lovely light dinner or lunch served with a tossed salad.



2 comments:

  1. We are going to have to try this! Dan and I have been talking about how we miss egg-based dishes since going egg-free for Evan's allergies! Do you ever use Ener-g Egg Replacer? There is a recipe for quiche on the package and I keep wanting to try it, but haven't yet. I guess that needs to be on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do use Ener-g egg replacer. I have never tried the quiche recipe. I'll have to check it out. Matt really likes this dish as well. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete