Friday, February 11, 2011

Bananarama Bread

This bread has got it, yeah baby, she's got it. What is it that she has? A caramelized banana topping that's what. So grab your favorite banana bread recipe and preheat that oven. I tend to gravitate towards Babycakes gluten free Banana Bread. Light and airy and delicious. I love that it uses a liquid sweetener in the recipe so that it is easy to choose a healthier option than cane sugar. I like to use brown rice syrup or coconut nectar. Regardless of the recipe you use, this caramelized banana topping will enhance it to the max.

Mash up one banana with 1 1/2 to 2 Tablespoons of Earth Balance or coconut oil (I have not tried the coconut oil, but I'm assuming it would work well). Stir in 2 tablespoons of your sweetener of choice. I used evaporated cane juice as the bread was a low sugar recipe.


Pour over the bread halfway through the cooking process. The gluten free recipe I use always takes longer to bake than the time given, so I baked the topping for about 30 minutes. If your recipe takes about that long or a little longer to bake, I would just pour on the topping before you put the bread in the oven.


The result is a chewy, flavorful topping that melds with the bread beautifully. I stored my baked bread in the fridge and found that the topping got a little gooey, so I just reheated it when I enjoyed the leftovers. That way the topping would be crispy each time.


Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment