Monday, February 7, 2011

I'm Salivating


There are so many great recipes and so many incredible blogs. I am constantly bookmarking amazing looking dishes, probably more than I will ever get to try. I do try a lot of them though, and I thought it would be nice to have a regular posting of the deliciousness the Internet has to offer.

First off is this Vegan Flourless Chocolate Cake from Gluten Free Goddess. It was quite impressive. I didn't have the brown sugar the recipe called for when I made this, and I think I missed out on the deep sweet flavor, but regardless it was a great recipe. I was quite impressed with the smooth creamy texture of the cake. Try it sometime, and check out her blog for a better picture of the cake. One that will make you salivate!



Next up is an incredible dish from Angela at Oh She Glows. Her 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta is partially raw (the sauce), and amazing. So amazing that I will be making it again this week. Unfortunately, I did not have any fresh basil and am really hoping to come across some soon. It was delicious without, but I love basil so much that I can imagine how incredible this dish would taste with it. If you get a chance, you must look through her treasure trove of recipes.

This past week we tried a new to us ingredient, canned jackfruit in a brine. While I have had fresh jackfruit (which is a favorite and a rarity), I've never had it canned. I picked up some at an Indian grocery a while back and finally decided to try Chow Vegan's BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich. The recipe was a simple one with impressive results. Matt really enjoyed it as well. Even though the contents of one can may not seem like much, It could easily
serve 4 - 5 people.


Now for some cookbook love, I made the Smokey Red Bean Chili with Chipotle- Cornbread Dumplings from Vegan on the Cheap. I ended up making it on the stove top, and baking the dumplings in the oven instead of using a crock pot. Both worked out great. It is a deliciously spicy and filling chili.


Finally here are two more gems. Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups from The Kind Diet, and Chocolate-Coconut Truffles from Living Raw Food. I made these for a party and sadly didn't get a picture. These were incredible though. A must try if you get your hands on the books.



And for your viewing pleasure, here are some more recipes I have my eye on.

Easy Coconut Kefir Yogurt from Yum Universe
Raw Banana Cream Pie from Manifest Vegan
Kale Garlic Bread from Busy Vegan Mama

Hope you enjoy these and get the chance to try them. What are you salivating over this week?

2 comments:

  1. Aimee, I do the same thing- gather way too many recipes than what I would ever have time for, but I love doing it, and often get inspired.

    First, I have not made the Vegan Flourless Chocolate Cake, but I HAVE made the pumpkin pie she references in that post. We had it for Thanksgiving and Christmas and it was quite good and easy to prepare. I even found a vegan whipped cream recipe to go along with it that used canned coconut milk. The pumpkin pie comes out a little dark b/c of the buckwheat flour which throws people off, but it was still very tasty.

    Second, the 15 Min. Creamy Avocado Pasta- I think I found tomorrow night's dinner!!! I'll have to leave out the lemon b/c Evan is allergic. And I don't have any fresh basil yet, but I bought seeds yesterday and am going to try going some on my kitchen counter. I'll have to try it with dried. Avocados may be my all-time favorite food and Evan likes them, too. Something else to try-- earlier this week, I made mac 'n cheese that used mashed carrots for the sauce. Better than I expected. I roasted my carrots for extra flavor. I can give you the exact recipe if you want it. It's from the book Allergy Proof Recipes for Kids.

    Anyway, great post- I can't wait to try the avocado pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try that pumpkin pie! I found a whipped cream recipe using canned coconut milk as well. It was coconut cream mixed with cornstartch and agave nectar. It turned out pretty good.

    I'm glad you liked the post and are going to try that avocado pasta. It is so good!

    I would love to try that mac and cheese recipe if you can get a chance to send it to me. Sounds really good. What is your favorite brand of gluten free pasta?

    ReplyDelete