Thursday, November 18, 2010

Hemp Smoothie

Today's post isn't the most salivating, but it is healthy. I try to have a hemp protein smoothie everyday (especially now that my jar is best by December 2). I am not a big fan of the grainy quality and aftertaste that the protein powder gives to my smoothie (Nutiva is the only brand I have tried so far), but I do appreciate the added protein and the omega 3 and 6 punch it provides. Here is my usual plan of action for these smoothies.

First put half of a banana and 1/4 -1/2 cup frozen fruit of choice (I used a mixed berry blend).

Then add 3 handfuls of spinach. This is my usual handful.

With my personal blender I have to really push down the ingredients for more room. Those of you with larger blenders, feel free to add more of the good stuff above to your liking.

Then add 3 spoonfuls of the hemp protein powder. With the size of smoothie I make, It is hard for me to handle the recommended 4 Tbs of protein powder, but feel free to use the serving size.

Pour a nice helping of hemp seeds on top. I believe the serving size for these is 2 - 3 Tbs (depending on the brand - I've seen both suggested).


Top with remaining banana. I use the banana to give the blender something easy to start blending as my blender is on it's last leg. We have had to buy a new personal blender every year as I use it every day, sometimes multiple times. I need to just save up some money and buy a nice one. Any Suggestions?

Anyway back to the smoothie. I then pour in half water and half almond milk. The more liquid the better with this smoothie. It really helps the protein powder to not be so thick and overpowering. Also the vanilla almond milk gives it a nice taste as well.

Blend until smooth. Enjoy and drink to your health!

Then reward yourself with some Wheat-free Chocolate Chip Cookies from Veganomicon. I lowered the sugar to just 1/2 cup loose brown sugar (as in not packed), and added about 1/2 cup (maybe a bit more) of unsweetened shredded coconut. I think the amount of chocolate chips I used made up for the sugar I didn't add - a little counter-productive. Oh well, I guess I will have another smoothie.



No comments:

Post a Comment