Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My Husband Makes the Best Fries



On Tuesdays I work one of the longer shifts of my week. I get off at 9 pm and am typically ravenous. Well perhaps not that extremely hungry, but getting there. My 4:30 meal at work is usually a salad of some sort and then I have a snack of a piece of fruit at 7:30, neither of which last's long enough for me not to be hungry before bedtime. As a result Matt usually makes us dinner, or second dinner. A house favorite for Tuesday's is fries, sometimes the kind you take out of the freezer and toss on a baking sheet, and sometimes Matt makes them from scratch. He has mastered the technique, and I bow before his french fry making skills. I'm ok with letting him be the better fry master, as I use the flattery to my advantage when I don't want to cook.


He said he will share the recipe once he has perfected it. Cutting the potatoes thin and making sure each piece has a fine coating of olive oil are two of the key steps. The base seasonings are salt, black pepper, and paprika (smoked is nice).

Here is the finished product. Yum!


On a completely differant note, I wanted to share some foodie finds from the Thanksgiving weekend. A favorite thing to do when visiting Matt's family is to stop at a Trader Joe's outside of Chicago. There is also a Whole Foods around there as well, but we haven't figured out how to get to the right exit yet. Hopefully next time we can stop there as well. One unpictured item that we bought is the unsweetened mango strip. You must try these if you ever happen on a Trader Joe's, they are very delicious and quite addicting. Another find that I was pretty excited about was baking chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate. I have tried to find these chocolate discs before, but had not had any milk-free luck until I spotted these.

Another find that I was pretty thrilled about was this canned jackfruit at an Indian grocery store next to this delicious restaraunt we ate at with Matt's parents. They had never been to an Indian restaraunt before, so it was a learning experience for all. I hope to make Jackfruit Carnitas out with the can of fruit and see how we like it. We also picked up some curry powder which looks pretty good as well. Perhaps I will make curry tomorrow!

Another hot buy of the week was seaweed snack chips. I was a little worried about the terriyaki kind, but it ended up being delicious and I couldn't get enough of them. Matt's mom thinks they taste like her vitamins, and I couldn't disagree more. Delicious is what I say!



Hope you enjoyed my grocery finds! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment