Monday, November 8, 2010

Mac and "Cheese" for a lousy day

Monday started out in typical fashion with the hum drum of another work week. Then once home from work I get a call from Matt saying that our land lord is coming over to put mouse traps in our apartment (What!). Apparently Matt has been seeing things and neglected to fill me in, but that is probably for good reason. So I let that go and went about my day and got a call that I didn't get the job I interviewed for. Needless to say Matt and I were both a bit depressive for a while. So the cure all was comfort food. Macaroni and "cheese" to be exact.
I used some spelt spiral pasta and some Daiya vegan cheese. Toss in some Earth Balance and some rice milk and cook until creamy. I also added salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning, as well as some smoked paprika for garnish. It hit the spot. Since my wounds were not quite mended I whipped up some peanut butter cookies using a recipe from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. I added a bit to much molasses, so they look like a cross between a ginger cookie and a peanut butter one. They hit the spot as well.

To counteract my emotional eating, I did some yoga. I have been really slacking in that area, so it was much needed and was hard work. I used the dvd Yogalosophy, and really enjoyed the mix of yoga poses with toning techniques.

So my evening ended up being enjoyable. That is until we heard some rustling under the oven. Sure enough it was a mouse. I am wondering if it is my fault for my lack of floor mopping. Matt says it is an old house and this happens, but I guess I never saw it coming. I know mouse traps are not the most humane thing and do not really go hand in hand with vegan ethics, so does anyone have any good ideas for future house protection?

2 comments:

  1. Get a cat? :)

    Your cookies look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Catherine! Your not the first person to suggest a cat. Unfortunately my husband is allergic, so it's not an option.

    Your almond milk looks like it would be delicious. I haven't attempted nut milks yet (making them on my own that is). I will have to try it out soon!

    ReplyDelete